Monday, August 13, 2012

Ten Drawings by Leonardo da Vinci


I hadn't bothered going to see the exhibition of ten drawings by Leonardo that is currently showing at the Ulster Museum.
I thought that they might be a selection of his less wonderful drawings, and maybe I thought it wasn't worth bothering over just ten pictures.
Anyway, I went yesterday when we were up in Belfast and had the kids over to see a Dinosaur exhibition that was also on at the Museum.


I was so thrilled to find that this extraordinary sketch of a man on a rearing horse is one of the ten drawings in the show.
For me, it was worth going just to see this picture.
This sketch was in a fantastic book about Leonardo that I had out on almost permanent loan from my school's library, and it always stood out for me as one of Leonardo's most sublime creations.
I stood and looked at this little drawing for a very long and happy moment.

So if you are in or near Belfast do go and visit the exhibition. It's on until the 27th of August.
The rest of the Museum is wonderful too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always wonderful to see images that inspired you when you were younger. Two pieces of yours from East of the Sun West of the Moon had the same effect on me. ^_^

PJ Lynch said...

Thanks so much Aladine, I'm delighted you liked East of the Sun, West of the Moon.
Which two pieces connected with you?
All the best
PJ

Anonymous said...

They are the 'drops of tallow' scene and 'the kiss' (separation and reunion, I guess). I always feel pulled right into those moments when I look them - a real instance of the artwork telling the story.

PJ Lynch said...

I think I might have guessed that you would like those two pix.
I'm really chuffed that they made a connection.
All the best
PJ