Monday, February 28, 2011

A Selection of Self Portraits

Some of the old oil paintings I uncovered in the move were still wet to the touch, and of course they had bits of paper and fluff stuck to them.
I really hadn't a clue about the basics of oil painting back then. A wee bit of instruction during my college days might have been helpful, but I suppose pretty much all of my tutors used pen and ink or watercolour.
Here are a selection of self portraits in chronological sequence from the bottom up.
I still quite like some of the early ones. In fact the first one, done when I was eighteen, is the best of the lot.
Isn't that depressing?






2 comments:

Mother (Re)produces. said...

I like them all, though I see what you mean; the first one is the most evocative, I suppose.

I have a self portrait I did when I was 16-17 or so. It's completely out of proportion but I still love it for its teen-melodrama mood qualities, though it's not as technically accomplished as later work. Perhaps you're just too good now? Everything's too polished?
Even so, I like them all together like that.

PJ Lynch said...

Hi Mother (re)produces
Many thanks for your comment.
I wish!
I'll have another crack at myself now with the same light as that first one I did...should be interesting.

All the best
PJ