Monday, December 6, 2010

Brrrrrr!

Speaking of my studio, here's how it is looking right now.


We've had about ten days of freezing temperatures and the deepest snow I can ever remember in Ireland.
It will pass in a week or so, but the poor Selfish Giant had winter in his garden for years.
Below is my illustration to "The Selfish Giant" from "Oscar Wilde; Stories for Children".
I've been thinking about Oscar a good deal this week as it is one hundred and ten years since he died, and BBC Radio 7 has been broadcasting his letters and short stories. You can get them for about a week at this link.


"The Snow covered up the grass with her great white cloak, and the Frost painted all the trees silver. Then they invited the North Wind to stay with them, and he came. He was wrapped in furs, and he roared all day about the garden, and blew the chimney-pots down. “This is a delightful spot,” he said, “we must ask the Hail on a visit.” So the Hail came. Every day for three hours he rattled on the roof of the castle till he broke most of the slates, and then he ran round and round the garden as fast as he could go. He was dressed in grey, and his breath was like ice."

5 comments:

Sadami said...

Dear PJ,
Wow...thank you for showing the wonderful work and the photo! I have to have a look of "The Selfish Giant." The book reminds me of your illustrated "Snow Queen" that I have. Particularly, Queen sitting in the place is breathtakingly, amazingly beaufiul and full of dignity...oh, beyond my language... I also imagined PJ might have used Ireland landscapes in the book.
Each illustrator's approach for the Selfish Giant is very different, which inspires me so much.
Kind regards, Sadami

PJ Lynch said...

Many thanks Sadami
There have been several very different and very good versions of the selfish giant.
Two of my favourites are by Lizbeth Zwerger and Susan Saelig Gallagher.
The Irish landscape does influence my work in many ways. I'l post some examples soon.
All the best
PJ

Sadami said...

Dear PJ,
Thank you. Me, too, like
Lizbeth Zwerger and Susan Saelig Gallagher's versions. Particularly, I've been admiring Zwerger. I really, really look forward to your post on Irish landscapes:).
Kind regards, Sadami

Anonymous said...

Hello my friend, this is Thanasis, from Greece (another country in economic crisis, xxx). Recently a friend of mine brought me from Dublin the "Stories for children" and for another one time i had the chance to keep in my hands your excellent work. I'd like also to make a comment. Have you seen the film "A Christmas carol" with J. Carrey? I saw it again last night and i think the schetces they used are very much influeced by your style. Do you think so?
Lots of love and many wishes for Christmas and New Year
Thanasis
Greece

yaamas said...

Man, that's a lot of snow! I love your studio. Is it in your backyard? I built mine in the back yard a few years back.

By the way, good call on Susan Saelig Gallagher's Selfish Giant...it's a wonderfully illustrated book. Love yours, too.