Friday, December 4, 2009

The Academic Tradition

We had a full house last night for my talk at the National Print Museum in Dublin.
Many thanks to everyone who braved the cold to come along.
Unfortunately the recording didn't go to plan, so instead, I will chop the talk down, and do it as a formal podcast when I get the chance.
In the lecture I touched a little on the subject of the academic painting tradition, and how it came to be inherited by American illustrators like Howard Pyle and NC Wyeth.
Here's another of my academic studies.
This one is of Mike holding the studio brush.

2 comments:

yaamas said...

Two of my favorite painters, PJ. Did you know that I live a half an hour away from NC Wyeth's studio? I go there all the time. There is an amazing museum of his life's work there, too. Of course, it is also the place where he learned under Pyle. It is so inspiring there. I look forward to the podcast my friend and I also want to thank you for your kindness in sharing and responding in your blog. I think so highly of your work and to know a little more here is just awesome. Great figure painting, by the way.

Happy painting!

Kendra Melton said...

Very nice painting! Now I am full of anticipation for the podcast. Glad there was a good turn out despite the weather. :]

- Kendra