Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Starlight Cloak


This is a design I did for a Polka Theatre production of The Starlight Cloak
The story was based on an Irish version of Cinderella called Fair, Brown and Trembling.
It's always nice to do a one-off image like a theatre poster or a book cover. You don't have to worry about repainting the same character in different poses, and you can concentrate all your creativity in one picture rather than pacing yourself over the length of a book.
This one was from 1995, when I was looking a lot at the work of Gennady Spirin, and I can clearly see that I was trying to emulate Gennady's clever way with shadows.

5 comments:

yaamas said...

Oh wow! This is awesome, PJ! I had never seen this piece of work before. It's absolutely splendid. I love all of those creatures in the sky. What a treat this was to see.

James

PJ Lynch said...

Hi James
So glad you liked it.
It only appeared as a theatre poster in London about 15 years ago, so it's not surprising you hadn't seen it.
All the best
PJ

K Li P said...

oh, this is Fantastic!! So very lovely!

PJ Lynch said...

Thanks Taqsim, so glad you like it, PJ

Tobriand said...

FYI I saw that production. Got here trying to find recordings or lyrics for the songs from it. Lovely image, and captured both the story and the show beautifully